There are good reasons for and benefits to choosing carpeting instead of other types of flooring for your home, church, store, daycare facility or office. Just like any other type of flooring, carpets can change the look and feel of a room completely and are durable – with the added benefit that it is less expensive than basically any other type of flooring!
Why choose carpets?
Carpets can brighten up a dull floor and add elegance and ambience to a room through its color, the fiber choice or the design on the carpet. Both full carpeting and lose rugs will also bring everything in a room together beautifully if chosen correctly, regardless of whether it is in your home or in a business environment.
Another truth is that carpeting is often cheaper than alternative types of flooring. If you should move into a new house or office where the flooring is less than desirable, carpets could cover floor imperfections until you can afford to do whatever else you had in mind – if you still want to change your mind later! Carpeting furthermore requires much less intensive labor than alternative types of flooring and can be done much quicker. This also saves on cost.
Installation of even full carpet flooring is less messy than for example floor tiling. Those of us who have had tiling done, will know exactly what a home or office can look like when tiling is being done..
Carpets can have a totally different ‘walking-on feeling’ if you opt for padding under it. Other types of flooring could never make you feel as if you are walking on a cloud or air – and you can experience that feeling directly after installation!
What to look for when buying carpets:
The term ‘penny wise, pound foolish’ applies to buying carpets just like with other things in life. Sacrificing quality on high-traffic areas such as hallways and stairs will bring about early replacement and therefore added expense.
If you can afford it at the time of having your carpets installed, make sure that you buy a carpet with a tight twist. This carpet will maintain its natural texture appeal for much longer and be better at resisting matting and crushing. You also want to buy a carpet that will keep the clarity and richness of its color for as long as possible. Consulting the Carpet Buying Guide will provide you with the above information, as well as some other tips that you might find useful.
How to choose your carpet:
Carpet color: Choosing the color of your carpet is great fun, will stream beauty into your home and will reflect your individual personality. A merely practical tip, however, is that lighter colored carpets make small rooms appear larger – especially if the walls are a hint lighter than the carpet itself. Another tip: when you come to do carpet shopping with us, try to bring a piece of fabric from prominent items that you want the carpet to match with, with you – cushions, curtain samples or things with the exact same color as these items would be great and helpful to you.
Carpet texture: While the color of your carpet will flood your room with gorgeous, well.. color! – the texture you select will throw in a touch of drama, softness, elegance or business appeal to it. The question, therefore, is what kind of atmosphere you want to create with your carpet. A velvety, plush, light-colored carpet for example will create a completely different atmosphere to a setting than a dark, level loop pile carpet.
Carpet styles: Carpets come in a number of different styles, including level cut loop, velvet, frieze, textured plush, tonal and patterned; available for all of domestic, child-friendly and commercial carpets.
- Frieze carpets: Frieze carpets are cut pile fiber carpets but have a rugged appearance brought about by tightly coiled yarns that curl back all the way. They are often described as carpets with a ‘pebbled’ or ‘nubby’ look.
- Level cut loop (LCL) carpets: These carpets are an excellent choice for high traffic areas and one of the latest carpet innovations on the market. They are a popular choice for regularly used rooms due to the design patterns (which could be quite complicated or small) that are customary for them. Basically they are a strong combination of twist (plush) and loop fibers, making them really strong and durable.
- Textured plush carpets: A textured plush carpet has a less formal and velvety presence as one can actually see the individual tuft piles. It is designed for easier maintenance and to be a more versatile cut pile carpet.
- Velvet carpets: As the name suggests, this carpet brings luxurious elegance to whatever room it is fitted into. A lovely blend of all cut fibers, this style of carpet also lends itself to rich color and eye-catching smoothness.
Revamped carpets (Tonal and Patterned):
- Tonal carpets: A tonal carpet is a solid colored carpet to which a dye pattern was added. An example of this type of carpet is our Colorado Saxony carpet, which is easy to care for and resilient. (A carpet that was created using different shades of the same color yarn to form patterns on it is also sometimes referred to as a tonal carpet.)
- Patterned carpets: Patterned carpets can be created by for example putting a design that makes it appear like a woven carpet, on a regular Saxon carpet by using dye. The result will be the lavish feel of a Saxony carpet, with the design of your choice. Adding a design to your carpet will for instance hide unsightly marks on it!
Carpet pad is meant to provide you with a comfortable, soft feeling when you walk on your carpet and to protect and support it. Incorrect or very cheap carpet padding will cause your carpet to wear faster and underperform, and will also take away from the quality of the experience you will have when you walk on it. Good padding will also be of great help with possible minor unevenness of existing flooring when that can’t be fixed at the same time.
How to choose carpet pad:
When you choose padding for your gorgeous new carpet, it will be worth your while and the expense you are incurring to ensure that you choose one that matches your carpet and will be able to deliver on the job that you want it to perform. We will gladly help you choose in store if you need help, but here are some tips with regards to choosing the right padding:
- Carpet padding location: Where are you having your carpet installed? You will for instance choose a different type of padding for your toddler’s bedroom than you would for your living room or office.
- Carpet padding matching: What type of carpet have you bought? The carpet padding that you buy should match the carpet that you are having installed. A good match will be one where the carpet lays completely flat once fitted.
- Carpet padding firmness: How does the padding respond when you squeeze it? Good carpet padding should not compress completely when you pinch it. Ideally you should opt for one that is quite firm and that will not go totally flat and lead to unnecessary wear on your carpet.
Carpet padding types:
There are four general kinds of carpet padding, namely rebond, fiber, foam and moisture barrier pads. Each of these has a different use and purpose, depending on the factors mentioned under ‘How to choose carpet pad’. Apart from these types, engineered carpet pads are now also on the market and available from us. Please ask us about them!
Rebond carpet padding:
This padding is made from scraps of foam used in the furniture industry. It is the most popular and widely used carpet padding because it lends a good, firm walk to any carpet and is also suited for most carpet types.
Fiber/felt carpet padding:
The fiber for this kind of pad, a popular choice for woven carpets, could be natural or synthetic in nature. It is a durable padding that is well-known for its longevity and the firm walk that it provides.
Foam carpet padding:
This is the padding you will get if you are looking for that ‘wow’-feeling under your feet! It is also the padding type that is continually being improved on through technology, as well as one that is available in a wide variety of densities and thicknesses. Foam padding is made from different forms of urethane foam.
Moisture barrier carpet padding:
Some carpeting suppliers suggest moisture barrier padding to most customers. Likewise there are people who believe that one always needs it when doing wall-to-wall carpeting in a basement. Our belief is that it is something that depends on a lot of different factors and that should be decided on only after having had a discussion with you to provide you with an educated opinion once we know your situation well.
We pride ourselves on carrying a wide variety of both brand name carpets and middle-to-high-end domestic and commercial carpets to suit every possible need, purpose, budget or wildest dream.
Some of the brand names that we carry include Anso Caress, Beaulieu, Du Pont, Mohawk, Scotchgard, Shaw, SmartStrand, StainMaster and Tactesse. We offer our potential customers broad choices with regards to carpet colors, styles and textures made from a variety of materials. Shopping with us, you will find a convenient and astonishing selection of cut and uncut loop, frieze, plush, solid pattern, tufted and woven carpets made from nylon, advanced generation polyester and/or wool.
Commercial carpeting: When it comes to commercial carpeting, we are well aware that this could be a costly experience. For this reason, we did thorough research to accommodate our potential customers and are able to offer you high-performance commercial carpeting at incredible prices. Our specialty is middle- to superior quality commercial carpeting as 1st Quality close outs and Grade A irregulars, perfect for use in all of churches, community rooms, corridors, daycare facilities, all types of offices and retail stores. Our commercial carpets are exceptionally durable, long-lasting, able to resist crushing and matting and phenomenal when it comes to retaining its appearance for years to come. Because we understand that carpet cleaning in a business environment could be disruptive, the commercial carpets that we stock are also easy to clean. You are guaranteed to receive a business carpet that will last you 2-3 times longer than a ‘budget’ carpet when you shop with us.
- 297 Shaw Ave. Clovis, CA 93612
- (559) 492-6475
- [email protected]